Jim DeLa is an award-winning journalist with skills uniquely suited for New Media; an accomplished writer, photographer and videographer, he is adept at weaving narrative, images, audio and video.
Digital Communications Coordinator, New College of Florida, Sarasota, Florida. Present. Content editor for the website of Florida’s Honors College. Duties include writing, editing, photography and videography. Also responsible for training staff in website content maintenance.
Director of Communications, Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Florida, Sarasota, Florida. November 1998 to June 2011. I managed multiple ongoing deadline projects and information outlets, including:
- Overseeing two complete website redesigns, focusing on improving customer service.
- Editing and writing a bimonthly newsmagazine devoted to highlighting ministry and mission work in the region, news and events and commentary.
- Creating and maintaining the diocese’s social media presence, including Facebook, Twitter, live web streaming of events and videoconferencing.
- Creating videos and audio slideshows about current events and feature stories of interest to local and national audiences.
- Creating and writing a biweekly email newsletter targeted toward clergy and lay leaders in the area. Its circulation grew nearly ten-fold in 11 years.
- Serving a three-year term as president of Episcopal Communicators, an international nonprofit association of communications professionals in the Episcopal Church. Duties included directing the planning of annual national conferences.
- Leading workshops on topics such as crisis management, new software tips and tricks, and Intro to Web 2.0.
- Was the public spokesperson for the diocese.
- Served as a consultant to Episcopal congregations in the diocese with communications issues and training.
Publications Coordinator, American Accounting Association, Sarasota, Florida. March 1997 to November 1998. I managed a staff of four responsible for the scheduling, design, proofreading and printing of eight academic accounting journals for the nonprofit association. The Publications Department also published nine regularly scheduled newsletters for various sections of the AAA, produced programs and support materials for section and regional meetings, and produced content and design for the Association’s website.
- Copy Editor, The Maui News, Wailuku, Hawaii. March 1993 to April 1996.
- Assistant Managing Editor, The Citrus County Chronicle, Crystal River, Florida. November 1990 to March 1993
- Copy Editor, The Daily Sentinel, Grand Junction, Colorado. November 1985 to January 1988.
- Copy Editor, The Ledger, Lakeland, Florida. March 1985 to November 1985.
- City Editor/Copy Editor, the Leesburg/Commercial, Leesburg, Florida. March 1980 to March 1985.
- Production Director, KPRN-FM, Grand Junction, Colorado. January 1986 to January 1988.
Correspondent, WINX-AM, Rockville, Maryland. October 1978 to March 1980.
- News Director, WTON-AM, Staunton, Virginia. May 1978 to October 1978.
Episcopal Communicators, 2000 – 2011
In 11 years, my magazine received the General Excellence award twice for best diocesan publication; The magazine took the second-place award in the same category three times. I also earned many individual awards in multiple categories honoring writing, photography, print and website design, and layout.
Florida Press Club, 1992
Second place for front-page layout
Landmark Community Newspapers, 1992
Honorable mention for front-page layout
University of Maryland, B.A. 1978; Radio-Television-Film
Assistant News Director at WMUC-AM, the university’s student-run radio station.